Prime Minister's Press Secretary
Tuesday, November 7, 2006 - Work has begun on to prepare a site at Monchy
for the relocation of another batch of Conway residents.
Prime Minister Dr Kenny D. Anthony confirmed that site preparations are already
under way for the second phase of an overall relocation programme for Conway
Dr Anthony confirmed that under Phase Two of the three-phase project, some
$800,000 has been allocated to facilitate the relocation of some 30 households
from Conway to Monchy, where 42 acres of land had already been earmarked for the
The Prime Minister said the households to be relocated have been offered an
attractive deal that includes an opportunity to purchase a house-and-land
package or to purchase a house lot in the designated area.
The relocated residents will also be given title to the lands, which can then be
used as collateral for loans to build new homes.
The relocated area under construction, the Prime Minister said, will also be
availed of all the necessary amenities such as roads, water, electricity,
garbage collection and disposal.
The government will also provide the relocated households with cash and
exemption of such government services as registration of title deeds.
Some 26 households have already been relocated under Phase I of the project,
which is aimed at relocating some 115 households from Conway.
The Government of Saint Lucia has allocated over a million dollars to the entire
Conway relocation exercise.